Saturday, February 18, 2012

Yoga and Pilates

Because of my shortness of breath and unusually increased heart rate while running, I have had to change my workout routine.  I'm a little disappointed, because I feel like I should be able to run 6 miles a day until this baby is born, but apparently that is just not the case.  But, something very good has come of this.  I have started doing yoga and pilates at a studio near our home.

I go to a prenatal yoga class most Saturdays, and it is such a wonderful time for me.  I really enjoy the stretching, and I have been surprised by the amount of real toning work involved as well.  One of the greatest joys of the class is that it gives me a little one-on-one time with Baby C.  It has been hard to focus on the baby as much during this pregnancy because I spend so much of my time and energy with Miles and Vivienne.  I really enjoy my Saturday mornings to meditate and just be in the moment with me and Baby C.

On Tuesday nights, I go to a prenatal pilates class.  I have enjoyed this class so much more than the bad floor pilates classes that I used to do at my old gym.  We use the reformers and the towers, and it is a very good toning and stretching workout.  I have definitely felt sore on Wednesdays lately, and I'm loving it.

I'm also trying to walk about 5 times a week.  This varies depending on the weather, but we seem to be having more warm, dry days lately, so I have been able to spend a lot of time outside with the kids in the stroller.  And even if it's not running, pushing nearly 100 lbs (kids combined with stroller) 4 miles is still a great walking workout. I mostly love just spending time outside with Miles and Vivienne, pointing out the dogs (they usually scream "Dog!  Dog!" and point like crazy when they see a dog, receiving a huge smile from the dog's owner as they walk by) and the buds starting to appear on the trees and the birds.  Vivienne has been fascinated with pine cones lately.  If she starts to complain about being in the stroller, I can give her a pine cone and she's usually quiet for the rest of the ride, inspecting her new natural toy.

So workouts are looking different these days, but I feel like I'm still doing what I can to keep my body healthy before this baby comes.  I'm up 11 lbs at 17 weeks.  I'm not sure whether that's good or bad, but hopefully it will ultimately be less than the 55 lbs that I gained with Miles and Vivienne.

1 comment:

  1. Swimming is also good while prego, you need a gym with childcare.

    ReplyDelete