Sunday, May 8, 2011

My First Mother's Day

Some days (many days), I wake up and feel like I need to pinch myself.  Can it really be possible that these two sleeping cherubs belong to me?  Am I really a mother of two healthy, beautiful children?  It seems too good to be true.  I am richly blessed.

My first Mother's Day started with going to church with my husband, my children and my mother, who is visiting from Georgia.  It was an awesome service, as usual, and it was fun to have my mom there with us.  After church, we enjoyed homemade cheeseburgers off the grill and potato salad (using potatoes that I bought at the Farmer's Market on Friday). 

My handsome little guy in his Sunday best

Then, the yard work began.  Mom and I took a trip to the Farmer's Market to buy some blueberry bushes (an early Father's Day present for Jason, who LOVES blueberries and eats them every morning in his oatmeal).  Then I went to another nursery to pick up some green spire euonymus (to go in front of the columns on the porch). 

Me and Mom getting dirty

Mom and I spent about 4 hours out in the yard, working until almost 8 PM - digging holes, mixing dirt with manure and soil conditioner, planting, tilling, watering, and weeding.  It was a tiring but rewarding day.  Last Thursday (after my mom got here to help watch the babies), I dug all of the shrubs out of the front of our house.  Today, we transplanted those shrubs on the left side of the house (helping to hide the gas meter), along with Jason's blueberries. 




In the bed at the front of the house, we planted a camelia, azalea, dwarf gardenia and one of the euonymus plants.  In a couple weeks, we're going to have someone come and fix the drainage problem in our yard and sod the right-hand side of our yard.  It's going to look so much better than the weed lot that we have now.


Left to right:  camelia, dwarf gardenia, azalea

Euonymus by the front porch
I cannot think of a better way to spend Mother's Day than celebrating with my family at church and spending the afternoon with my mom out in the yard.  Every time I see my plants blooming in front of our home, I can remember that I planted them there with my mother on my very first Mother's Day.

Thanks for getting dirty with me in the yard, Mom!  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment