Thursday, September 22, 2011

Discipline


We are in the beginning stages of some discipline with the babies.  In the past, we have firmly said "no" to things that could be dangerous - playing with electrical cords, putting their hands in the toilet (ok, maybe not dangerous but definitely disgusting), things like that.  Miles has long had a gift for throwing all of his food on the floor of our kitchen.  After each meal, I have to sweep the floor and wipe it with cleaner, and we still have ants coming into the kitchen foraging for his leftover crumbs.  Over the past week or so, I started firmly saying "no" when I would catch him in mid-drop (hands over the edge of his high chair with a chunk of food in them).  I don't scream it at him and I don't do anything aggressive - just a firm, "Miles, NO."  He looks at me for a few seconds.  His little lip starts to tremble and then he goes into the most pitiful, heart-breaking cries.  He slowly pulls his hands in and puts his food back on his tray - so at least this is working for now.  This is not fun, but it is necessary.  I think I'm going to be using the word "no" a lot more in the future, but I'll try to add in a lot more "yes"es and "very good"s and "I love you"s to compensate.  I just don't want my children growing up thinking that their name is No Fox.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I can just picture him with a heart-wrenching cry to melt Mom's heart. Such a sweet sensitive boy!

    ReplyDelete