Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Good Life

After meeting another twin mom and her sweet twins for lunch, we stopped at Harris Teeter to pick up a few groceries before heading home.  I pulled into my parking spot (leaving one spot between me and another minivan), and hustled over to grab one of the car-shaped double shopping carts.  I pushed the cart into the empty space between me and the other van and unloaded the babies, my coupons, my purse and 2 sippy cups.  All the while, I was talking to the babies, buckling them in, reminding Miles that he has to "keep his eyes on the road" while we're in the store (these shopping carts have a steering wheel for each baby, so that they feel like they're "driving" the cart - Miles loves to steer). 

At that point, the woman who was in the driver's seat of the van beside us(with the window rolled down) said, "I'm sorry for staring.  I was just watching you and thinking,'Where does the time go?'  They grow up so fast."  She had tears welling up in her eyes.

I responded,"I know what you mean.  They are already a year old, and it has flown by."  I told her, choking back my own tears, that on the days in the beginning, when I had 6-week-old twins and I thought I was going to pull my hair out... that I would try to remember that someday I would probably do anything to have one of these crazy days back.  Thinking that way helped me make it through the times that were really difficult.

She smiled at me and said, "That's so true.  You're a great mom."  I responded, "I'm sure you're a great mom, too."

I want to remember to spend as much time as I can with my children.  They are gifts.  Each minute and each hour of each day that I get to spend with them is a gift from God.  Yes, I get tired.  Yes, I get frazzled and stressed out and there are days that feel like are spinning out of control.  But even those days are a gift.

In my running playlist, I have recently added Good Life by OneRepublic.  Here are some of the lyrics:
Hopelessly
I feel like there might be something that I'll miss.
Hopelessly
I feel like the window closes oh so quick.
Hopelessly
I'm taking a mental picture of you now
'Cuz hopelessly
The hope is we have so much to feel good about.


Oh this has gotta be the good life.
This has gotta be the good life.
This could really be a good life, good life.
They're right.  This has gotta be the good life.

1 comment:

  1. You're making me tear up! That was such a sweet interaction, and I love those lyrics. I know what you mean, and wouldn't trade a single moment of dueling criers clinging to my lap for anything. And it's too hard to think of having grown children right now. Keep taking those cute videos and pictures to pull out later.

    ReplyDelete