Saturday, March 27, 2010

Side Table & Grill

Today has been a very productive Saturday for us.  We slept in and ate breakfast.  Then we decided to go to Lowe's to buy a grill that Jason has been wanting.  They were sold out at all of our closest Lowe's, so we had to go to Garner (a grueling 20 minute drive) to pick one up.  We had a 10% off coupon, so we got a decent discount, considering that it's hard to find any good grill sales this time of year.  Jason has been wanting a grill since we moved here, but we just didn't make it happen last year.  I'm glad he finally got his grill.

After picking up the grill, we went to Chipotle for lunch.  A couple interesting facts about Chipotle:   
  1. The babies and I are loving Chipotle right now.  I probably eat there at least 2 or 3 times a week (which is probably too often).  This is a little weird, considering that I can't eat anything even slightly spicy.  Even the mild salsa clears out my sinuses.  
  2. Jason cannot pronounce "chipotle" (or "nuclear") to save his life.  It's endearing - at least there is something he can't do.  =)

Then we came home and put the grill together.  They didn't have any assembled at the store, but we tend to like assembling things, and it was a really nice day to spend outside.

Jason stands among the pile of parts, boxes and styrofoam.

Here he stands proudly with his assembled man grill.  =)

Earlier this week, I put a couple of coats of white paint on my side table (the bed stand from my old, old bedroom suit).  At Lowe's this morning, I bought new knobs for it - the finishing touch.  I'm thrilled with it!  It will be perfect for the nursery.


Here is the original bed stand.  First, I sanded it by hand (definitely my least favorite part).  I kind of gave up on the spindly legs, because it was taking a painfully long time to sand them.


This is with one coat of primer.  I figured this would help on the sections where I got lazy with the sander.


And here is the final product!  I put two coats of white semi-gloss on it and the new knobs from Lowe's.  I'm really happy with it.

We finished up the evening with a trip to Kroger and a delicious steak dinner courtesy of my wonderful husband.  We also grilled some green pepper and onions.  We ate some sliced mango for dessert as we watched the first episode of the Life series from the Discovery Channel.  It is a phenomenal show - beautiful images of wildlife across the globe.  I'm really looking forward to the next three episodes that we're recording tomorrow.

These days, I'm looking really pregnant and I'm feeling the babies move a lot lately.  It's just the neatest thing.

2 comments:

  1. Wow your night stand looks amazing! Well done. Its great to keep heirloom furniture in the family -- who knows, your great grand children may have that piece in their nursery as well! Josh just finished sanding and painting a dresser (that belonged to his dear late Aunt Brenda since her childhood) this weekend too. What a coincidence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie! Oh, the sanding is no fun. I feel Josh's pain for sanding an entire dresser. I need to get an electric sander, I think...

    ReplyDelete