Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Downy Woodpecker

I have a bird feeder outside my office window.  I love to watch the birds while I work.  I usually see lots of cardinals, towhees, Carolina wrens, chickadees, and titmice.  Ever now and then I see something new, and I reach for my "Birds of the Carolinas" book to try to identify them. 

Today I saw a downy woodpecker.  It was a female, because she didn't have the red feathers on her head.  I didn't get my own picture, but she looked something like this (without the red):


I love living here with all the wildlife.  We see bunnies in our front and back yards very frequently this time of year.  Almost any time you go outside in the morning or evening, there will be 1 or 2 bunnies nibbling on our weeds (which should be grass).  In the back yard, which is mostly woods, we have seen foxes, deer and rabbits, not to mention a wide variety of birds.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!
    I am glad to find your blog. Dad told me about it, but I never knew the address. Thanks for writing that about Katie on the turner blog. I had actually written something earlier and then deleted it. Lindsey has forbidden me to write on there. :) What really made me mad was someone saying that "riley" wasn't doing well. Well, her name is actually spelled Rylie, so you know they don't know her well enough if they can't spell it. And she is doing wonderful. She has been at my house the last week, and we have had such a great time.
    I am excited to keep up with you as you await the arrival of the twins. SO FUN!

    ReplyDelete