Saturday, August 25, 2012

You Know It's Love

There are so many things about parenting that are really about letting go... letting your kids grow up, letting them learn to be independent, letting them fall and scrape their knees every now and then... all because you know you need to let go.

And I have also learned to let go of having things done my way.  There are so many examples of this.  I often spend time in the late afternoons dead-heading my roses while the kids play.  Sometimes they will "help" me by going alongside me and pulling off the perfectly beautiful new roses.  I just take deep breaths and let them go to town.

Another example is when we play with "shapie" (play dough - I have no idea why Viv calls it "shapie").  She likes to combine all the colors.  It takes all my strength to contain my OCD and let her do this.  But I have to ask myself what's more important - my need for order or my little budding artist letting her creative juices flow?



You know it's love when you let them do this to brand new "shapie."  


And don't even get me started on coloring outside the lines.  Lord have mercy...

And, for the record, it is impossible to separate this stuff once it has been so thoroughly combined.  Don't think I haven't tried to pick this stuff apart with my fingernails.

3 comments:

  1. My strategy has been to write off a chunk of the PlayDoh, but save what I can. The stuff that is thoroughly mixed ends up in one can (brown), and the rest that can be separated lives to see another day.

    How about furniture? Did you ever think that you would be able to just sigh and shake your head when one of your children wipes their snotty nose or sticky hands on your nice micro-fiber sofas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel any better I feel like I could use therapy due to "shapie" blending too. :)
    In fact, I couldn't let go with Ky and she gets on the younger set for mixing colors. It is so me that I hear when she tells them not to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reminder that it's just playdough. But yeah, I love the pure separate colors instead of one big pile. Actually I don't like the smell of playdough so I'll have to get over that first.

    ReplyDelete