Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Running with the Birds

It was barely warm enough to get outside with the babes.  I bundled them up and put the weather shield on the BOB.

I had another good run today.  I went 4 miles at a 10:13 pace - really surprised myself!  That is an enormous improvement over my previous times with the BOB.  I feel like my performance is going to plateau, though.  I just don't feel like I can go much faster.  I would love to go under a 10 minute mile (sustained for at least 3 or 4 miles).  That's my goal, though I haven't really set a date at which I would like to reach that goal.

We saw some really neat birds today.  We saw a red-tailed hawk.  It flew very low across the trail and landed on a branch not too far above the ground.  I did stop for a moment to watch it.  I always wish the babies could understand me when I see things like this.  I want to point things out to them, but they're too busy staring at their thumbs or making razzing noises or trying to pull off their socks... just being darn cute.

We also saw a great blue heron.  He (or she?) frequents the pond in the subdivision next to ours.  I have seen this bird, along with many Canada geese and maybe a king fisher, many times at that pond, because it is always on my way home while I'm running.

No comments:

Post a Comment