Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Super Porridge and Oatmeal Allergies (?)

The babies have had sweet potatoes and peas so far, and they loved them both.  On Sunday, we tried to make our first baby oatmeal, using the Super Porridge recipe from the Super Baby Food book. 

I usually eat steel cut oats from Whole Foods for breakfast every morning, so I started with those.  I put them in our food processor and ran it for a couple minutes until I was left with a fine powder.  Then I boiled a cup of water on the stove, and added the oatmeal powder and whisked like a crazy woman.  Well, I must have done something wrong, because it came out very lumpy.  We tried feeding it to the babies, but they were going to start a hunger strike.  So I quickly defrosted some sweet potatoes and we fed them those.  I put the oatmeal into the fridge with hopes of somehow feeding it to the babies over the next couple days.  (I hate to throw away food.)

Yesterday, I microwaved some of the leftover oatmeal from Sunday to soften it up.  Then I put the heated, soft oatmeal back into the food processor with a little extra breast milk and pulverized it.  The result was a nice, creamy porridge (much like the consistency of cream of wheat).  The babies ate it up.  Success!

Well, this morning, I noticed that Vivienne has a rash all over her abdomen.  It doesn't seem to bother her, but it was all over her little belly and chest, so I called the pediatrician.  They said to try holding off on oatmeal for another month or so to see if she is having a reaction to it.  (Unfortunately, I put a new lotion on her last night after her bath, so it's impossible to determine whether it was the lotion or the oatmeal without further experimentation.)

So, I successfully fed the babies oatmeal, but Vivienne might be allergic to it.  I guess we'll just have to see how she does with it in another month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment