Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mikey Likes It!

Or at least Milesy likes it!  Well, after 3 days of trying sweet potatoes, Miles decided yesterday that he likes it!  I was so happy to see him finally enjoying the meal, instead of feeling like I'm torturing him with food.

I had decided that if we tried for 5 days and Miles hated eating the entire time, I was just going to stop for a couple weeks and then try again.  I didn't want his first association with food to be a negative one.  But, luckily, he changed his tune yesterday and enjoyed quite a few bites of sweet potatoes (which also happen to be one of Mommy and Daddy's favorite vegetables).

Miles finally has a good relationship with a spoon.

My Happy Eaters

Enjoyin their fourth day of sweet potatoes.

I accidentally got sweet potato up her nose.  Oops!
Feeding two babies at the same time is no easy task.  I have to get them both in their high chairs and get the food, clean up rag, spoons and bibs ready before they start to get irritated and cranky.  Then I have to feed them quickly enough that they don't lose patience.  I'm just using one bowl and spoon and switching back and forth from one baby to the other.  It would be crazy to actually try to do two bowls and two spoons.

After they eat their food, I've been trying to give them a little bit of water in a sippy cup.  They still have no idea what to do with it, but it's cute to see them "drinking" from it (with a LOT of help from me).  I removed the diaphragm from the inside so that it will actually drip water - there is no way that I would actually be able to get them to suck from it right now.

I've finally learned to roll up their sleeves (duh!).  This makes the entire process a whole lot cleaner.  They still manage to get their bibs all twisted around and they end up with sweet potato in their hair, but I think we're making a lot of progress in establishing a little feeding system here.

Last night, I made some peas.  We'll try them today and see what they think.  So far, I love making their baby food.  It makes me feel like I'm really doing something truly good for my babies, and it's really easy, too!

4 comments:

  1. Whew! And I thought feeding one little one was hard enough - you're impressive with the double duty.
    It will be a LOT more fun in the summer time - especially when the feedings start to get REALLY messy. You can take them outside - and then just hose off the high chairs with a water hose. (I've often considered leaving Evie in her highchair and just hosing her off as well. Hasn't happened yet, but we'll see...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try those mesh feeder bags. That way the kids can feed themselves or at least have something to do while you set up. And if you use frozen fruit it helps with teething too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, it will be so much easier to clean up after them in the summer when they can strip down to their diapers to eat and we can hose down those chairs. It's going to be insanity with the both of them.

    Amanda, that's a great idea! We'll have to try that soon. I'm eager to give them new foods - too bad we're supposed to wait 4 days between introducing new things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! Miles has really grown a lot of hair recently - he has like "little boy" hair now. Glad he's on board with the sweet potatoes now. I agree - all the prepwork to get them to eat a few bites of food is daunting some days. It's a race to get set up, put them in the seats, and try to feed them before the good moods are gone!

    ReplyDelete