Monday, April 11, 2011

How I Lost My Mother-of-the-Year Award

Miles slept like a log today - took at least 4 hours of naps split into two sessions.  It was insane!  After he woke up from his second nap, I packed the babies up and we headed out to finish some errands.  It was just the regular stuff:  post office, Walmart, Walgreens, Harris Teeter.

We puttered down to the post office in my car.  I got out and opened the trunk.  Uh oh.  I forgot the stroller.  Man!  I've always worried that I would do that.  Oh, well.  I have my Ergo carrier (thanks, Rhonda, for the best carrier EVER).  I put Miles in the Ergo and carried Vivienne in on my hip, all the while carrying my package and my wallet.  I stood in line feeling very proud of myself.  A couple ladies made comments about how I literally had my hands full.  The lady in front of me told me that my babies were beautiful.  (I must say that I agree.)  =)  I got up to the front, set Vivienne on the counter, and paid for my package to be mailed.  On the way out of the post office, a toddler was saying,"Bye, bye!" to the babies.  The babies and I were saying,"Bye, bye!" back to the little guy while we exited, then... THWACK!  I banged Vivienne's head against the metal, sharp door jamb of the post office door.  She immediately started crying - that sad "you really hurt me, Mom" cry.

So that's how I lost my Mother-of-the-Year award today.  At least Viv stopped crying by the time we got back to the car.  I pulled the same "wear one baby, carry the other baby" trick at Walgreens without injuring anyone.  (Phew!)  At Walmart and Harris Teeter, I put Miles in the shopping cart while I put Vivienne in the Ergo. 

She seems to have forgotten about the incident already, and luckily she only has a tiny red spot on her forehead.  Poor baby.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how forgiving babies are. Adria is old enough to know mom just bonked her on the head and she still comes to me for comfort and forgives me immediately. I am sure Vivienne still thinks you are the best mom ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's awesome! I haven't gone out doing the carrier/carrying thing (and have rarely ever done it anyway). Good for you!! Fortunately our little ones have a very short memory...as evidenced by every morning getting breathless and panicky as they get ready to eat, as if it didn't happen the day before :)

    ReplyDelete